Ethical Wool Vol. 1 - by ULAT
Here is a blog made by ULAT, the maker of the ULAT Dryer Ball.
Wool is amazing. Like many products that come direct from nature, wool has numerous benefits that outperform synthetics dramatically. From its built-in weather protection to natural breathability, biodegradability, and moisture absorption, wool is truly one of nature’s most precious (and fluffy) treasures.Even the most advanced, lab-made materials cannot compete with this naturally occurring, multi-purpose fibre!
At ULAT, we use only premium Canadian wool, 100% ethically sourced from local Canadian farms, where the practice of mulesing is not tolerated. Our farms are regularly inspected to ensure we uphold the International Wool Textile Organization (IWTO) standards for sheep welfare including:
- Freedom from hunger, thirst and malnutrition by ensuring access to fresh water and a diet sufficient to maintain full health and vigour.
- Freedom from discomfort by providing an appropriately sheltered and comfortable environment.
- Freedom from pain, injury and disease through active prevention, or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to express normal patterns of behaviour by providing sufficient space, suitable facilities, and company of the animal’s own kind.
- Freedom from fear and distress by ensuring conditions and treatments avoid mental suffering. *
Want to learn more about unethical sheep farm practices and why vegans have previously resisted use of wool products? Read What's So Bad About Wool? from Sandra Namoto. CW: Contains upsetting images and violent depictions of sheep mistreatment from unethical farms.
ULAT loves sheep just as much as we love wool (and it’s naturally occurring lifestyle benefits)!
As a Social Enterprise, we are dedicated to empowering communities and individuals to embrace nature and eco-friendly living. We do this by using natural and ethically sourced products. We also serve actively in Wool Circles around the globe.
You can learn more about ULAT Wool Dryer Balls here, or watch this brief video!
*Excerpt from the IWTO standards for sheep welfare http://www.campaignforwool.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/IWTO-Sheep-Welfare-Guidelines_2013.pdf
We will have a special pop up store at Tamagawa Takashimaya! Please stop by.
Event information! We'll be at Shonan Ethical Market in Shonan T-Site on May 24th and 25th! Please stop by if you're in the area!
We will have a special pop up event at Matsuya Ginza! Please stop by if you're in the area!