This is a quote from Nelson Mandela about fairtrade. Fairtrade is not about charity but about justice, each one of us can be the voice of those who have none. This is how the "Fairtrade Town" started.
The people of Garstang, UK made a statement and declared to the world as the world's first Fair Trade Town in April 2000. Following the declaration the criteria required in order to become a Fairtrade Town in the UK was formulated and these became known as the Five Core Goals and form the foundation stone for all international Fair Trade Town campaigns today.
The Five Core Goals are:
1. Local council passes a Resolution supporting Fair Trade and agreeing to use Fair Trade products.
2. Fair Trade products are readily available in the area’s shops & served in local cafes/catering establishments.
3. Fair Trade products are used by a number of local work places & community organisations (faith groups, schools, universities etc).
4. Attract media coverage & popular support for the campaign.
5. A local Fair Trade steering group is convened to ensure continued commitment to its Fair Trade Town status.
There are now over 2,000 Fairtrade Towns in 30 countries. See the map on the site to find all the Fair Trade Town around world and take a look at all the international campaign. Is your town in the map?